Hand Gonne #2


    This is the second hand gonne I plan on casting. This is the 15th C original that I took plans from.



    For the model, wax was built around a wooden core and turned on a lathe, then the spike and flash pan were added. Apparently at some point a Mini Moonpie was brought into play as well. It was at this point also that I realized that
    a) the hook was probably broken off and should be complete
    b) I put the hook in the wrong place

    Both issues were remedied in short order.

    First coats


    A fine coating of loam mixture was brushed on in several layers. This serves to pick up fine detail. Subsequent coarser layers of clay, chamotte, sand, and dung were then applied. Iron bindings were added at about the 5th layer.

    Brushing the loam on helps prevent separation of the first few layers, which is common when bats are simply pressed on. This mixture, having the consistancy of a heavy paste, produces a more fragile shell than the firmer, pressed-on mix, however it seems to stand up well. The brushing/dipping of the loam mix is evident in some 12th century bellcasting mould debris.



    A fire is started underneath the mould, and the wooden core is removed when the wax has softened. The remaining wax drips out or is burned up.

    Mould view


    A view of the burnout into the mould cavity. The mould is open on both ends. After firing, the core for the socket will be fitted into the breech end and sealed before casting.

    More pictures to come as I complete the process. The next step will be firing and fitting of the socket core into the breech end.